SailNet Community - View Single Post - Can someone explain roach to me?
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013

knuterikt is on a distinguished road
Re: Can someone explain roach to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Yes, I should have noted that, and it's probably a decent solution, given that H-R is now using it... One major advantage I can envision, seems it would allow a main of even greater roach to clear a backstay when tacking, than a sail with horizontal battens...

Still an extremely rare setup on this side of the Atlantic, however - I don't think I've ever actually seen vertical battens on a cruising boat yet over here... Do you know whether such battened mains can be retro-fitted to most existing rigs, or do they require a purpose-built spar with a wider slot? Some of the Hood Stowaway masts I've used, I can't imagine the slot being able to accommodate the additional bulk of battens, without a major modification...
The boat in the picture is a standard Bavaria 32 with furling mast.
I'm going to my sail maker soon - will try to remember asking him what the limitation's are
Here is a translation of what one owner wrote
Quote:
We were class winner in Færdern (One of the largest over night races in the world) and No. 2 over-all of all boats rounding at Mefjord!
So it seem's like Bavaria + Gran furling main is not so bad!
We received many comments during the ceremony, how can that be possible? What have you done with the boat? It is not possible to win with Bavaria, short keel and furling main when 90% of the race is tacking!
My only comment was: Talk with Henning at Gran if you are wondering what is possible.
Bavaria 32 Owner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook