SailNet Community - View Single Post - Solar cooking...
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Solar cooking...

There is now a waiting list for mooring balls in Marathon, Florida's Boot Key Harbor at the Marathon City Marina. All the marinas seem to be filled to capacity, there's not a square inch of dock space where I am, and there's a huge number of boats anchored out as well.

Some of these cruisers are patiently awaiting the wind to subside so they can cross to the Bahamas, and as soon as they leave the mooring balls will quickly have new cruisers. The one thing I learned from some of the cruisers is that both diesel fuel and propane can be very expensive in the Bahamas, and at some of the smaller islands the only fuel available is gasoline. A couple boats here have switched to solar cook, which eliminates the need for propane or very expensive alcohol.

Solar cooking devices have been around for at least a decade that I know of, but they were marginal devices at best. However, the Global Sun Oven seems to have changed all that. Today, with lots of scattered clouds, a young lady here managed to bake a wonderful, large, loaf of bread in just over 2 hours.

Yesterday, one of the veteran captains here baked a turkey, shredded the meat, then made an incredible jambalia that he shared with some of us at the marina's tiki hut - a sundown meal.

The lady that baked the bread says the oven fits perfectly on the bow of her 30-foot sloop, but if it's winding and the boat swings she puts out a stern anchor to stabilize the boat somewhat. You can find additional information at https://shop.realgoods.com/ProductDe...ductCode=63421

Cheers,

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook