SailNet Community - View Single Post - Charter BVI next 60 days
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Charter BVI next 60 days

I will admit that I am a monohull guy, so keep that in mind. Catamarans are expensive to buy, to maintain, to charter and harder to fit in a slip. They generally sail faster for their size and heel less. However, you've mentioned safety and if conditions got real nasty, I would take a mono any day, not that you need to worry about that in BVI. Your big advantage is being able to bunk crew in the other hull, so that you have more privacy. That's worth something, but you will pay a lot for it. Oddly enough, I can't think of anyone that learned to sail on a full sized catamaran and I'm trying to decide if that it a good idea. I'm sure others will add their thoughts.

No matter how you slice it, you will have a great time and you will learn something. I'm only reflecting on your desire to learn to sail and own a boat. Cheers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook