Dave...There's no reason you can't do the trip SLOWLY and CAREFULLY being prepared both on the boat AND to wait for extended periods of time for the right weather to go. What concerned me was that you seemed to be in a hurry to get to St. Maarten...and in a boat that is fairly light and singlehanded at the WORST time of year.
IF that is the case and you are limited in time and must
be in St. Marten any time in the next 3 months I would say take a plane. If not...why not start a thread for your trip and solicit specific advice on the things you are concerned about after reviewing what is already available on other threads about this passage. Like this one: