SailNet Community - View Single Post - DIY - discussion on building a DIY hookah diving compressor
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: DIY - discussion on building a DIY hookah diving compressor

Med-
The purpose of an "oil free" compressor is to avoid contaminating paint jobs with oil, which will cause "fisheyes" and other blemishes in many paints. So if a compressor is sold as oil-free but still has traces of manufacturing (tool) oils in it, it is going to screw up the first paint job and that's going to be a problem. I'd expect that at Horror Freight but not from any reputable source.

Tire pumps: Yeah, but if you line up three dozen of them and plumb them into a manifold....it still usually only takes a couple of hours before the teflon rings in them melt from overheating, they're only designed to run 20? minutes to inflate one tire or raft. Which ought to be enough time to clean the bottom of an average canoe or row-boat, whatever else draws well less than six feet of draft. (G)

Now, on behalf of my clients (Crustaceans, Scavengers, and BottomFeeders International Brotherhood Local 157W, proud co-sponsors of the Darwin Awards for 2013) I must ask you all to stop advising people not to do something cheap and stupid. Every time you save a life, my clients lose a meal. Hey, BottomFeeders got a right to eat too!

Last edited by hellosailor; 01-30-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook