SailNet Community - View Single Post - Run down by a Tug or Barge
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Re: Run down by a Tug or Barge

Some years ago while salmon fishing at the mouth of Rivers Inlet in BC the fog was very thick and we were staying pretty close to shore. Right away we hooked a big fish which we had to chase to keep from being spooled. Long story short, we ended up in the middle of the inlet with maybe 50 to 100 yards visibility and after about an hour, lost the fish. As we were sitting there with the motor off, kind of in shock about losing the biggest fish we have ever had on, I heard a low frequency rumbling sound coming right at us. I no more than started the motor when a big black tug came out of the fog right at us. We got out of the way by about 50 yards and watched it go by us with a tow cable off the back indicating that something else was coming. After what seemed like a long time a huge self dumping log barge came out of the fog quite close to us.

As we were in a small fiberglass boat I doubt we showed on their radar, however I thought there was some kind of rule that says you are supposed to sound a horn every so many seconds when it is foggy? We heard nothing until we were almost run down. If we had the motor running we may not have heard it coming at all? Good by us.

Paul T
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook