SailNet Community - View Single Post - Run down by a Tug or Barge
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Run down by a Tug or Barge

I guess there's lots of similar stories.. another one of ours:

Again in fog, we were inching/sailing slowly along the Bowen Island shore (no radar) within visible range of the rocks... over time we too heard the steady low rumbling develop, but were unable to pinpoint the source. As we were so close in, I had near convinced myself it was a generator running ashore.

We reached the last point of the island and struck across the channel, now with nothing visible, still sailing slowly, waiting for the generator noise to fade away... Suddenly my wife shouts "rocks or something to port!" but I knew there was nothing between us and Nanaimo at that point. What it was, though, was a log boom, inching across our path as the unseen tug rumbled in the distance. There had been no warning from the tug, and we were VERY fortunate to have come up against the boom rather than between the tug and tow - we'd never have know what we'd caught.

Again, under power we'd likely not have heard anything and been perhaps less aware.. Anyhow discretion took over, we did a 180 and popped out of the fog bank a mile or so back along our track breathing a sigh of relief.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook