SailNet Community - View Single Post - another pre-paint question
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road
another pre-paint question

Please excuse my rambling.

So I am psyching myself up for a complete decks-and-cockpit paint job coming up, probably starting mid March. As I do not believe I have the skills for two part paint, I am doing white Brightsides. For the non-skid, I've just picked up a 4liter of Kiwigrip that I am going to tint a light sand colour. I am pretty excited, I think this will really perk up the old girl, the boat that is, not my wife. But I guess the latter would be okay too.

So, the question of the day. On my deck, the non-skid stretches in one unbroken area from the bow, all the way down the side decks to where they narrow to non-existence at the stern. I have seen boats that have been done with contrasting non-skid, where this is not a single unbroken field of non-skid, but rather there might be a one-inch white line athwartships, sort of like in this quite shamelessly stolen from the internet picture:

I'd like a line athwartships near the front of the cabintop as in the picture, omitting the longitudinal one. This is both for visual interest, and to break up the field into more manageable areas when applying the non-skid.

So finally getting to the point, would it be reasonably possible to sand the nonskid smooth to achieve that one-inch line? I am thinking that the gelcoat is thicker where the bumpy non-skid is, and that with a bit of care I should be able to get it sanded flat and smooth before ending up at the glass underneath. I see the challenge as confining the sanding to this one inch strip only, not over-sanding into the non-skid field I want to leave undisturbed. Could I lay down some thin sheet metal, and fix it with hot glue or good double-sided tape, then sand in between?

Or maybe I don't really care, as the Kiwigrip will cover the sanded area outside my one inch line so that it will all match anyhow.

Thoughts?