SailNet Community - View Single Post - another pre-paint question
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: another pre-paint question

You're using Kiwgrip so your original nonskid will be essentially obliterated anyhow.. if you want that 'look' and if your existing nonskid isn't too aggressive I'd just prepaint the division line areas in white then tape off the line as you like and do the kiwigrip.

The main caution I'd have is, since you're taping on the original nonskid that you take extra care to seat the tape to avoid bleeding under it.

You certainly could sand smooth first, and maybe that would look best overall, but it will be difficult to get a good consistent appearance around the edges, I suspect.

When we did a similar project we added a couple of deck hatches (anchor locker and lazarette access) which we cut out of the deck, sealed, and put back in place with hinges. Since we repainted afterwards we were able to pattern the nonskid around the new sections - it looked factory after that!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook