SailNet Community - View Single Post - Transmission output flange fell off Yanmar 2QM15 - Theories re: why?
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Re: Transmission output flange fell off Yanmar 2QM15 - Theories re: why?

DISCLAIMER: I do not own a Yanmar, not have I ever done anything other than bleed one.

Looking at your photos, and description, I suspect that the "machining" of the inside of the coupling was done on the boat. All it would take is very little play, and the shifting in and out of gear would start to hammer the inner spilnes of that coupling. Eventually, the hammering would shear off the splines, and with a little torque in the right direction, the nut would be spun off too.

I suggest that there may be little pieces of splines somewhere in your bilge.

To repair: get a new coupling - yours is clearly toast -, a new lock nut, AND a new washer (part #2 in the above illustration). I would go so far as to use lapping compound and Prussian Blue to mate the coupling and the output shaft. To get an idea of what I am talking about, look at this article by Maine Sail pertaining to lap fitting a prop. Once the coupling and the output shaft have been prepared, use a torque wrench to apply the right amount of torque to the lock nut. Once torqued to spec, stake the nut.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.

Last edited by eherlihy; 02-13-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook