SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Standard Horizon WS100

6K views 20 replies 4 participants last post by  svHyLyte 
#1 ·
My SH wind instrument has quit. Did a full reset with no luck. Wind speed reads 0 and wind direction is erratic. If left off for 24 hours, it will work for about an hour or two, then quit.

I suspect it's the display. What are my options? Can I replace just the display with an ST 60? Some other display with the same square footprint?

#2 ·
#5 · (Edited)
Wind speed/direction is the ws100, knotmeter is also stan horizon. Depth was SH but I replaced that with Ray ST 60+ which works fine with the old SH transducer, same freq.
Autopilot is old raytheon
Thinking Tack Tick may be the way to go so I don't have to run the wire

Read the brookehouse info....over my head!

Thanks Dave

#7 · (Edited)
We have had similar difficulties with our SH Wind Speed/Direction indicator. If you have had any lightening in your area the linearization of the direction indicator is likely out of synch and if you've had birds sitting on the wind wand, you likely have bird poop goofing up the speed indicator. You may also have some corrosion on the pins at the wand connector at the mast head.

I suggest you try pulling the wand and thoroughly cleaning the connection pins. Also pull the cups off the spindle and clean the receiver, spindle and cups with warm soapy water and dry thoroughly. Then spray the spindle with SailKote and reinstall the cups once that's dry. Remove the display to access the connector on the back side and release the cable connection. Then do a cold "reset" of the unit to clear the memory and reset the factory defaults. Then plug the wand pins directly into the cable connection at the unit itself and follow the instructions in the user manual for relinearizing the direction indicator (under Calibration). This involves getting the display into linearizing mode and spinning the direction indicator in one direction (only) until the display has made a full 360º rotation. Then, drop down to speed and spin the cups manually to see if the speed indicator registers although it likely should/will. You can recalibrate that at deck level if you have a wind wizzard or other hand held wind speed indicator or later at the mast-head. If the foregoing goes well, coat the pins in the wand with a little conductive grease and reinstall at the masthead. With that you can calibrate the direction indicator and adjust the displayed speed as necessary.

Unfortunately, we seem to have to go through this routine at roughly 3 year intervals. Frankly, I routinely ignore the wind speed/direction indicator and simply refer to the Windex we have at the masthead.

FWIW...Good Luck.

#10 ·
Good Luck. The hardest part about the process is climbing to the masthead (at least on our boat, 62'). Note also, unless you're going to get the whole process done in one afternoon, be sure to tape up the connector at the masthead for protection.

FWIW...

#13 · (Edited)
Hopefully that will do it for you for awhile. On our boat it's usually about a two year cycle. (In fact, I have a replacement wand/spindle assembly and when the one in place goes south, I pull the display and linearize and calibrate the spare and take it aloft to swap with the dysfunctional wand which, after cleaning, becomes the spare.) N'any case, Good Luck!

#14 ·
I had good luck with SH getting my depth log display refurbished. Reasonable price and the turnaround time was decent (mailed to them and back). Found their support did well (that was in '07) So if the fix doesn't work, you might want to contact them before buying something else.

#15 ·
Did all the lini-cali-prayer stuff and took it back to the top today. So far so good on the wind speed. But it takes many hours to freeze so hard to be sure yet. The wind direction was 180 out! First correction failed but second correction seems to have taken.

Hopefully we're good. Thanks much HyLyte!

#16 ·
I am pleased that you've had success so far. Unfortunately, getting the wind direction calibrated properly is something of a pain in the neck. Frankly, I settle for something that's within 5º or so as I mostly rely on our Windex anyway and I'm really only interested in relative differences on the SH when referring to that. Let's hope it continues to work for awhile as going to the masthead really is also pain in the neck.

Cheers...

Reactions: chef2sail
#17 ·
We kept loosing windexes so we rely on the instrument.

I like going up the mast, as long as there are no big rolling wakes trying to throw me off!
Yesterday we had a whopper of a wake come rolling in from a big yacht...luckily it was 5 minutes after I came down!

#18 ·
We've had our best luck calibrating the indicator by taking the yacht out on a relatively light air day and motoring directly into what wind there is at our top speed. We do this on the river where we're moored, rather than in the near-by bay, to minimize the effect of wave action on apparent wind and with that, can get pretty accurate. An alternative is to go to the masthead, manually hold the pointer in place first forward and then aft, and have a helper set the calibration on the instrument itself. One can then also check the linearization of the unit itself as a 180º change at the masthead should be reflected, exactly, on the instrument. If it is off somewhat, one can go through the linearization process a second time; or, one can do alternating calibration corrections, from forward to aft and back, by removing 1/2 of the error each rotation, in each direction.

N'any case, good luck. You've got the device working again and hopefully that will last for awhile.

Cheers...

#21 ·
I'm glad that worked out for you. Hopefully it will last a year or two. Longer if you can figure out a way to keep the darned birds away! On that, with the winter migrations, we've got more of the buggers than ever down here and I need to go through the same routine again (later in the spring, when its warmer however!).

Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.