SailNet Community - View Single Post - Transmission output flange fell off Yanmar 2QM15 - Theories re: why?
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013
In Constant Motion

JeffBurright is on a distinguished road
Re: Transmission output flange fell off Yanmar 2QM15 - Theories re: why?

Thanks Gary for the good advice. Unfortunately the hammer blows were my no-no. I used a wood chisel to pry the two coupling pieces apart. I think heat/dirt/rust conspired to glue the two pieces together. It was the only way I could get the coupling apart to get at the locking nut. Since the photos were taken I've filed off the metal bits at the edges of the flanges that got bent by the chisel, and polished it all with a fine scotch brite pad, so all that's left should be the pristine inner surface of the coupling discs minus a millimeter or two on parts of the very outer edges (outside of where the four bolts hold the coupling together anyway). Suppose that'll be all right?

From all the reading I've done the past few days, I'm pretty concerned about trying to get off the shaft coupling to take it to a machinist without destroying it and/or the prop shaft. If I could simply keep it attached and adjust the engine alignment to match, I'd be much happier.

Where does a person acquire a feeler gauge or dial indicator, generally? Is that an auto shop buy, a Home Depot thing, an industrial supplier? It'll be a new addition to my tool bag.

Thanks again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook