SailNet Community - View Single Post - Perkins 4.108M DIY Rebuild -- A Narrative
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Re: Perkins 4.108M DIY Rebuild -- A Narrative

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Very nice job. I used spray cans rather than brushing though - is Glyptal available that way?
Yeah, the 1201A is the spray can version. It's way more expensive, and I am pretty certain that they've thinned it out considerably in order to make it able to spray.

Quote:
I'll be interested to know if it keeps the oil as noticeably cleaner in a diesel - I've only done it in a gas engine.
I'm not holding my breath (although if it does that'll be an extra benefit.) I think addressing my blow-by issues are much more likely to keep the oil a bit cleaner.

Quote:
P.S. Don't forget to do the inside of your sheetmetal parts - rocker cover, front cover, oil pan etc.
The black coating on insides of the oil pan and rocker cover are still in great shape, so no need to hit those. The timing cover, though, will certainly get the full treatment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook