SailNet Community - View Single Post - I think I have found what I want
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: I think I have found what I want

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Sorry Caleb.... should've checked to see if you were watching....

I'd add just that saildrives generally rely on a bladder seal where they penetrate the hull, Volvo, for example, recommends these be changed every 6-8 years, IIRC... something I'd be willing to bet rarely gets done.
Faster, no reason to be sorry about anything. You are one of the reasons that this forum is such a great place (to sound a little like SmackDaddy!). I have noticed that you frequently answer newcomers questions with detail, respect and insight. Besides, the pictures you posted of sail drive vs. direct drive assemblies is worth a thousand words. I was too lazy to hunt down photos to show the difference but you were not.

So, is it the "bladder seal" that is most prone to failure on saildrives perhaps?
Every engine and drive train needs maintenance. It sounds like the saildrive needs a bit more frequent major maintenance (6 -8 years) than a traditional, old school direct drive assembly.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook