SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help choosing a new MFD and Radar needed
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013

GrahamO is on a distinguished road
Chuckles,
I spent a good deal of time with RM at Strictly Sail last week and it was pretty illuminating. At the moment +/- heading adjustment etc. is not available on any of their MFD's regardless of the age of the autopilot. However they are still developing the software and "expect that functionality to be incorporated at some point". When it is, it should work with all autopilots regardless of age - we shall see.....

They will not implement any software that allows course correction via a wifi connected device as they (not unreasonably) see this as a safety problem if a child gets hold of the iPad down below and decides to play.

I was very impressed with the clarity of the Raymarine display compared to the alternatives. This, along with easier interfacing, was probably enough to make me give up the broadband radar and go with an all RM solution.
I might look at the i70 later but I suspect my autopilot redundancy will be a wind vane if I ever get to do serious passage making.

Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Graham
I think I see your point, you can't do the +/- course headings we all know and love from our ST60+ days with a simple key press on the e7d MFD because you don't have a SPX type auto pilot.
Not because it won't, but because your AP is outdated.
There is a solution that won't break the bank - install (for about 530 bucks) a A70 (i70) auto pilot control head.
I mean, would you not want a backup to the MFD?

My setup is a single i70, the e7d, and a70 - I can not imagine not having redundancy.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook