SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are Boats Built in the 70's Just Too Tired
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Re: Are Boats Built in the 70's Just Too Tired

Just my opinion, not much experience to back it up ...

I think it depends a lot on the person.

Some people like to have boats that are already fitted out and ready to sail, and only need to have a bit of maintenance done on them from time to time, not everybody likes to mess around in boats. Turnkey, like a condo, you spend enough money you get what you want. Those people aside ...

Some people like basic boats and projects are okay.

I'm more of the basic boat type and what matters to me is that the hull is strong and that the design is going to work. I'm not much of a features person and care little about the color of cushion covers, to me the way the rudder is mounted is much more important, that there is a way to handle heavy ground tackle, etc. I like some of the 1970's fiberglass (as far as fiberglass goes) if it is sound and built to last.

To use a house analogy, you wouldn't buy a house with a bad foundation for the curtains. The most important thing is the basic structure, the layout, foundation, roof, etc. Next in importance are the systems, the plumbing, wiring, things that can be changed but are a lot of work to change. After that comes the finish, choice of tile, paint, and finally the furniture and decoration. Boats are a lot like that and it would be a good analogy except that houses with bad foundations don't break apart in a storm and sink.

Fitting solar panels is easy, changing the hull design is impossible.

I think you have to start with a good basic boat.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook