SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are Boats Built in the 70's Just Too Tired
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: Are Boats Built in the 70's Just Too Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjen View Post
One interesting observation btw.

Before i bought my boat (Rawson 30, 1971, 10k$) I talked with many people for advice and one advice seemed to be universal: Don't buy a catalina, hunter or beneteau. Really everyone told me this, both online, in quatemala and in florida. Everyone seemed to agree that these are weakbuild pieces of ****. I bought the Rawson partly because it has a very good reputation for being a sturdy blue water boat.

Now each time i look at treaths where people talk about buying boats for 100k or 200k, i keep seeing exactly those 3 names returning.

TBH, that makes me thing that people with the money for a new boat seem to be less informed, go for the well advertised nice looking picture boats and just look down upon old boats because they are cheap
"Everyone" told you to avoid those 3 manufacturers? It sure wasn't me.

The Rawson is a solid boat for sure, but Catalinas and many Beneteaus are hardly "weak built pieces of $hit". They are not "blue water" boats, but they're not pretending to be. If you use them for their intended function, (River, bay, or coastal cruising) they are perfectly safe and reliable.

Catalina isn't one of the most prolific builders because they build crap. They've built tens of thousands of 22's, 25's, 27's and 30's.

Sequitur has safely made ocean passages on a Hunter 49, including around Cape Horn. The Cherubini-designed Hunters are sought after for their good design and durability.

I've never owned any of the above mentioned boats, but I've sailed on several. They're just fine for their intended use and the're not "garbage" just because they're not ocean passage-making vessels.

You might reconsider making such blanket statements in the future.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook