SailNet Community - View Single Post - Whales!
Thread: Whales!
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Whales!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportNewbie View Post
Its whale migration season here in SoCal. On the news they spotted 26 whales in a single pod a week or so ago off the coast. They said it may have been a record as thats a huge number...

Today was a nice clear day…I decided it would be nice to take the boat out and open up the sails for a bit. It has been on the news that its whale migrating season and quite a few whales have been seen off the coast. In the back of my mind I thought it would be nice to see a few but you never know. I have seen lots of Dolphin, a few Killer Whales and of course the local Sea Lions. The wind was very light maybe 5 knots. I shut the motor off and let the light breeze slowly glide the boat through the calm water when I heard something…Not sure what it was, I turned my music all the way down..I had some jazz playing lightly in the background. Then I heard it again. Yup thats a whale! I scanned the horizon and about a mile away I say the whale breaching! I started the motor and headed that way. I got to about the area I saw the whale and nothing…completely calm. Stapped the motor and again let the gentle breeze fill the sails. A few minutes later…WHOOSH right next to the boat! Scared the S___ out of me! It literally was 20 yards away. I saw the whale submerge and swim away from the boat…I grabbed my iPhone and recorded the rest…just a whale swimming and blowing his spout. To some that may be old hat, to me its just the coolest thing to be that close to nature.

video of whale spotting
You are fortunate that no one from the DEP observed your actions. One must be very circumspect when observing/coming upon whales incluidng shutting down motors and electronic noise generators (fathometers, stereos, etc.) that pump sound into the water when within 100 yards of a whale. For more infomation on requirements/limits see (click on) Guidelines | Pacific Whale Watch Association . These guidelines are important for the safety of the whales and your own.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook