SailNet Community - View Single Post - Recommend for trailer sailer with a real head?
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
Re: Recommend for trailer sailer with a real head?

Well, I have to confess that I'm surprised. I didn't realize there were so many trailerable sailboats that came standard with real heads in them. Though, I have to say that some of the boats suggested are only barely what I would call "trailerable."

One thing I would ask the OP is, why trailerable? If you intend to move it once or twice a season at most, then a large boat that just manages to be trailerable is fine. If you want to keep it at home, and trailer it back and forth to the water pretty much every time you use it then, I can tell you from experience, smaller is much, much better.

The bigger the boat, the more time and effort it is to hook it up, trailer it, rig it, launch it, retrieve it, de-rig it, trailer it back home, and put it away. It ends up not being worth it if you're only going to be sailing for a few hours. You find yourself using the boat less and less.

I made the mistake of moving from a small trailerable boat, to a somewhat larger one, to the largest one that I could manage. Found that I was using the big boat far less than I had used the smaller boats, and finally decided that I either needed to move back to a smaller trailerable boat, or bite the bullet and keep my larger boat at a dock where it was ready to go any time.

Bottom line: If you are going to have to rig and launch the boat every time you use it, smaller is better.

Good luck, whatever you end up doing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook