SailNet Community - View Single Post - Newbe with no experience buys big boat
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Yeah, when I read that comment, my first thought was "Sounds like Mexico, to me..." Or, any number of other places - the Rio Dulce, Phuket, Marathon, to name a few - where singlehanded "cruisers" have washed up, found the living and booze cheap, and aren't going anywhere else anytime soon...

Get off the beaten track a bit, and encounter singlehanders who are really going places, I don't think the incidence of alcoholism is particularly prevalent... Pretty unlikely to see a fellow cruiser walking down the docks at 1000 hrs with a beer in his hand in a place like this, in my experience... In a paradise like the Florida Keys, however, it can be depressingly commonplace...

Hey, I resemble that last remark! No seriously, as a long time liveaboard some times single, single handler, who has many miles under the keel, I have learned there is a time for drink'n and a time for sailing, and rarley do they cross timelines. Trick is, not to let one get in the way of the other. You sail, you drink and talk about your sail, sober up, and sail again. Balance.