SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are Boats Built in the 70's Just Too Tired
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Re: Are Boats Built in the 70's Just Too Tired

first research the replacement value of boat you are looking for and at. then market value of same boat in different states of repair/disrepair....
then figure out how much you can do yourself.
then figure out why you are wanting that particular boat...sail it and others before you buy.
you can fix many items while under way and many items are better done in other locales than usa, where all is pricey.

i bought this boat, a formosa 41 yankee clipper, for 10,000 usd. there are others like here in mexico for 5,000 usd. there are beautiful ones like mine for sale for 30,000 and up usd.
i was looking at and lost money on a ct 41 sea tiger--was trying to sell for 42,000--my 10k wonder was les initial money and i learned mine is in better condition than the one i was trying to purchase....go figger.

you must look hard at each boat you look at. survey will miss many important items needing repair. survey is only important for comprehensive insurance and bank loans. you go thru the boat as if you are a surveyor and find the problems. then learn how much it will take, money and labor, to repair ....i found that this boat in condition in which sh ei, was a better buy for my money than was the essentially same boat for 30k more than i laid out for this one.
to exactly answer the op question-- NO boats built in 1970s are only beginning to show their bones--keep em alive and they can cruise forever.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook