SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking for sailing destinations on Lake Erie
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013

ABH3 Boyer is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for sailing destinations on Lake Erie

Lou452. I only have experience on the north eastern end of Erie so my comments are specific to there. I love living close to Lake Erie. I Moved back here almost exclusively for it. The water is clean, the people are nice, and the prices are reasonable. The fishing is world class and the origonal reason for spending so much time on it. This will be my 2nd season with a sailboat but I have been fishing on the lake my whole life except for the time I spent in the Navy. I have herd some complaints of shallow water but havent expirenced it. It might have something to do with inexperience as I only find shallow water close to shore. When my keel is down my draft is 5'6" and when its up 2'6" and I can leave it down when pulling into my marina. Traffic in the harbor and behind the break walls is never too busy and it only takes a few minuets to get out into open water. Obvously there is a huge benifit to being on fresh water instead if salt. The maintance is minimal expecially with a good bottom paint applied. When the weather kicks up the waves tend to come up fast and the frequency tends to be very tight so I dont spend a lot of time out on crappy days but they seem very few and far apart. Buffalo has more sunny days than Orlando Florida and has more wind than the windy city of Chicago. Although every sailor dreams of a bigger boat my 26 is big enough to handel anything the lake can hand out within the time it takes to get to a sheltered area. Now that I'm focused on sailing instead of fishing I plan to do some port hopping and hopefully be able to sail throughout the great lakes some day.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook