SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are Boats Built in the 70's Just Too Tired
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road
Re: Are Boats Built in the 70's Just Too Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
Daniel, you got a Nor'sea for your first boat Awesome, I wonder if you have any Idea what you have there. When you make your first big ocean passage the big boats might beat you by a day or two but you will sail the whole way and they will motor half of it. That boat is one of my all time favorites.
Thanks!

I did lots of research into different boats. I was looking at Cape Dory 27s, Bristol 27s and I was going to consider looking at a Bayfield too. But the Nor'sea came available right when I was about to start the physical searches and went for it. I wanted a sturdy boat that could go just about anywhere I wanted. It has a good reputation for its build and the draft was shallow enough to go just about anywhere I want. If I didn't get this one, a CD27 was next on the list.

I was initially told NOT to get a Nor'sea because I'm 6'5" and that it would be very cramped. It's really not as bad as I thought. I can lay down in the berths comfortably. I can't stand up while down below, but then that's what the deck is for

I'm mentioning my size compared to the boat because it works for me. Sure, I would love to have a boat where I can stand up in but that would require larger size of the boat and pockets to pay for it. For anyone, you may not always get everything you want in a boat, especially your first one. Just enjoy what you got, if you're starting out, then you'll have a better idea what to look for if or when you want to go bigger or upgrade what you have.

I do like my little boat. Looking forward to getting out on the water this spring/summer.

Quote:
“When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.” — Dr. Samuel Johnson
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook