SailNet Community - View Single Post - Making a living as a liveaboard
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013
A palapa awaits me...

Razcar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Razcar
Re: Making a living as a liveaboard

I've been earning money remotely without visiting my clients at all in years. A good personality, good work ethic, and reasonable rate gets word spreading around. Most clients now are happy with Skype calls and daily logs of work. I take only project work, so there's a definite calculated end to the work. Even my larger corporate clients who used to sing the tune of getting a butt in a seat on location, have changed their approach. They realize to get good talent they have to cast their net wider and adopt mobile and remote workers as a fundamental part of their approach. I'd also say that most business owners want to trust and rely on a vendor. I have had the same clients for years (5+), and they keep coming back. The reason? It's a pain in the butt to find someone you trust, ramp them up on your internal processes, people, and project history. It takes time and money to do this every time you have someone new. Most of my clients don't mind my schedule and availability because they know the work I produce and I have proven my trustworthiness.

My point is not to toot my horn, but it's to say this: it's pretty easy to land a client in any kind of work you do, but that's only the beginning. Work hard to keep them, prove your value, and they will come back. I've been floating on these ~10 clients for years (pun intended) and am weary to take new ones for the same reasons they are weary to find new contractors. It was totally unintended, but eventually they became like family and we send each other cards for the holidays, and whenever they need work done, they know how to find me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook