SailNet Community - View Single Post - I think I have found what I want
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013

Ward H is on a distinguished road
Re: I think I have found what I want

One of the differences between the Oday and other boats is the swing keel/centerboard.
On some the ballast is in the swing keel. They require a winch mechanism to raise and lower the heavy swing keel.
The O'day swing centerboard, weighing only 65lbs, does not need a winch. Not even a wire cable. Only a 1/4" pendant line that runs through a tube and exits at the rear of the keel. Then it attaches to the centerboard with a shackle. Very simple arrangement. The board swings on a large nylon pin held in by nylon wedges and metal plates. These are attached at the bottom of the keel and require little maintenance. If you can drop the CB you can inspect the pendant attachment. If the CB goes up and down smoothly you are good. If the pendant is frayed it is an easy fix. In the cockpit photo it shows the pendant cleated under the bridge deck.
I'm told that 1980 was the last year before O'day started to thin out the fiberglass so it is a very rugged boat.
There are two O'day 26s in our marina, which are basically the same boat with minor improvements. Both are diesel and the owners love them. Direct drive.
Except for the diesel the mechanics of the 25 are very basic, which is why I chose mine.
With the options shown/listed I think the price is reasonable if the mechanics check out OK.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook