SailNet Community - View Single Post - SWING KEELS GOOD or BAD?
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013

Ward H is on a distinguished road
Re: SWING KEELS GOOD or BAD?

Wannabsailer,
The O'day 25 is a great boat. It has a regular keel with lead ballast and a swing centerboard that swings up into the keel, not into the boat. Doesn't take up any room in the boat.
Some boats have a swing keel. The keel is the ballast and heavy. It swings up into a trunk in the boat. Due to the weight you need a winch mechanism to raise the keel.
Back to the O'day, even with the centerboard up, you have a keel with 1800lbs of lead as ballast. It sails fine with the CB up except for some slipping when pointing into the wind. I know. When I got mine the centerboard was stuck in the up position due to marine growth the first few sails.
The CB on the O'day weighs about 65lbs so it does not need a winch to raise it. It has a rope pendant connected to the CB by a shackle. Some pre 80 models did have a winch in the cabin but mine has the pendant running to a cleat in the cockpit.
I think swing keels let you get into shallower water but that is because the keel is up into the boat and so is the ballast. The O'day set up may not let you in as shallow water as the others but the mechanics are simpler and don;t take up cabin space.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook