SailNet Community - View Single Post - Life Span of a Boat
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road
Re: Life Span of a Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Looking at 1960 through 1970's photos of Marinas around the world show large sailing and motor yachts. These were large yachts of 50 feet or more. If you look at a recent picture of these same marinas all the boats have been replaced with much newer yachts.

What is the life span of a yacht? Where did the yachts go? Were they cut up and landfilled?
Many are gone forever, no doubt. Wooden boats don't survive much neglect. But the popular designs survive today. Take the Concordia yawls. I think 100 were built starting in the 40's, and I think they all survive today(one or two may have been lost).

They endure because of their design in form and function. You can keep a wooden boat alive forever if you have the means to do it(they may one day be the equivalent of Washingtons ax....)

Glass boats seem to survive neglect better than wood, but unless the design is popular, I think we'll see many of them disappear as well.

My glass hulled Alden is now 52 years old, and I don't think the half way point of the life of a good glass hull has been determined yet.

Here's a Concordia in my harbor. 100 of them now in their 50's, 60's and 70's, and no end in sight for them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Concordia grey 2.jpg (71.2 KB, 208 views)

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook