SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pearson 36
Thread: Pearson 36
View Single Post
post #14 of Old 01-31-2013
Re: Pearson 36

Thanks for the additional info. The Anacortes boat had a little bit of the “ol war dog” look to it and I couldn’t quite see the attraction (other than all of those Swiftsure plaques!). Curious about that wheel helm location as both your target boat and the Anacortes one have it in the same location. But, note that the accompanying photo with the line drawing has it aft in the more traditional location. I know that the 70’s versions of the Catalina 30 came either tiller or wheel from the builder and many tiller boats were later retrofitted. Pearson could have been in the same boat.

When you look at the boat, do a bit of crawling (as I’m sure you will) in the aft end and really look at the steering cables and gear. There must be some cogent reason on why the wheel is where it is and I’m interested in learning your thoughts. The “war dog” had some interesting pictures and my, how far the building standards have come since then. Again, really look over the Stb lazarette as the “war dog” had some funkiness in both the electrical and plumbing systems. I would consider on reworking that hatch to make it really water tight as there is a lot of important stuff down there and it is also opened to the bottom of the boat.

As you know the three rules of older boat buying is “condition, condition, condition”. The interior and cockpit layout isn’t my particular cup of tea, but I’m not buying the boat. As the build standards were different back then, you might be spending some money modernizing a bit like replacing the fuse panel with circuit breakers or even moving the panel away from the companionway and galley. But again, we all have a mountain of personal upgrades we want to do on our own boats. Good luck on your quest and enjoy the process!

George B
2000 Catalina 34 MkII
Alameda, Ca.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome