SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Contest/Game - Identify this picture

638K views 5K replies 130 participants last post by  obelisk 
#1 ·
It has been a while since I've seen a thread like this - the rules are simple: attempt to identify the location of the last posted picture in the thread. Once the picture poster confirms the first correct responder that person then gets to add a (sailing-related) picture to the thread and the game continues.

Since I'm no good at this type of guesswork my only chance of getting a picture into the thread is by starting it off with the following picture:

(click on picture to expand)​

See less See more
#2,376 ·
Well done, DonJ.. If our Welshman doesn't soon confirm I think you can move this along anyway.

I figured it would be the Great Lakes.. now for the story behind the wreck.. FW???

#2,378 · (Edited)
...um... I have the perfect amount of teak on deck..... NONE!!:)

btw:

Late in the autumn of 1952, the old steamer GARGANTUA, her machinery removed, was under tow on Georgian Bay, bound for the North Channel where she was to be used as a lumber barge. In heavy seas off Cabot Head, she sprang a leak, forcing the tug to take her into nearby Wingfield Basin. The GARGANTUA remained here during the following winter and although there was every expectation that her owners would return for her in the spring, they never did, perhaps because the hull was strained. Settling to the bottom she became a permanent fixture in the northern corner of the Basin. Most of the hull, was above water, and during the next two decades grass sprouted between her deck planks. In 1971, the wreck took fire and much of the deck was burned away.

Reactions: donjuanluis
#2,384 ·
As good a guess as any, but many rivers 'run brown' at certain times of the year.. No mountains, probably a large delta alright...

#2,388 ·
OK, DJ we need to narrow this down.. Northern/Southern hemisphere?

Mississippi delta?

#2,393 ·
Floyd.. gotta keep up.. it's southern hemisphere, more than 30S ;)

I think Argentina and Chile are the only realistic options now...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.