SailNet Community - View Single Post - Installing a Boom Brake
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013

nigos is on a distinguished road
Winchard

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
I am looking at installing a Boom Brake. I like the simplicity of the Wichard Jibe Easy system. It is expensive but it might save me and or my rig in an accidental jibe, so worth it for me.

Question is do I need to mount the two ends of the lines to the outside edge of the deck (at toe rail) or can I mount the end of the lines to the outside edge of the coach deck? I already have two stong tie points on the coach roof where the boom mainsheet used to be attached, but these points are only about 2 feet off each side of the boom. Would rather use these as I would not need to drill/ and install more pad eyes or attach to my chain plates, and would rather not have the lines set up as a trip hazard right across the path way leading to the bow.

Regards
Last year we installed a Winchard Boom Brake on a new Sabre 426. The brake was attached to a Leisure Furl boom and we initially ran both ends through blocks attached to the base of the shrouds that were forward of the boom attachment point and then tied off the lines at mid sheet cleats on either side of the boat. This turned out to be a very bad idea for several reasons. The lines to the brake must be very very tight for the device to work properly irrespective of whether we position the line through the top or the lower portion of the device. The attachment of the Winchard to the boom using a shackle allows a lot lateral movement which impacted the performance of the brake. This is one reason we had to make the line running through the winchard very tight. The difficulty with the tight line is it placed a lot of downward pressure on the boom which affects both sailing performance depending upon whether one is going upwind or downwind but more importantly with the winchard line tightened one cannot properly operate the Leisure furling boom i.e. the boom angle is low. We have solved these problems by running the Winchard line on both sides to a block tied to the base of the shrouds and then back to a sheave in the deck organizer and then we back to rope clutches on the cabin top so that we can increase or release pressure. Although all of this may seem a bit complex, the Winchard really is a great device.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook