SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailors rescued 900 miles off shore..
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Sailors rescued 900 miles off shore..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
Winter on the North Atlantic is one of the more unforgiving places to be. If you look carefully as most commercial ships, you will notice the draft numpers for and aft? Used to be (not sure if it still is) that the bottom most number would be labeled "WNA" as in... Winter North Atlantic.. Loading to this line would put the ship at her shallowest depth and giver her the most freeboard to survive the waves from the storms that churn this part of the ocean up during the winter.

While I have no problems with sailing across the atlantic.. it is not something you should do from late fall till mid-spring
When I was a kid we sailed from Liverpool to Montreal in early November in a 22,000 ton Cunarder. It was the last run of the season, even for a ship that size. It was scary - the seas were like mountains even from 50 odd feet up. We weren't even allowed out on deck.

Being there in a small boat in JANUARY is simply Darwinism in action.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook