SailNet Community - View Single Post - SWING KEELS GOOD or BAD?
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013

ABH3 Boyer is on a distinguished road
Re: SWING KEELS GOOD or BAD?

I love my swing keel boat. I dont have worries about it failing and swinging down uncontrollably because it is always down when I'm underway. When I hit a random boulder in 8 feet of water it swung up and didnt wreck anything. just took off some paint. My draft with keel up is 2ft 6in and 5ft 6in when down. That puts the weight right where it needs to be so it performs very well in strong wind and bigger waves. I can also trailer my boat easily. As far as the moving that much weight around, I installed an electric wench where the old hand cranker was so all I have to do is press a button. I also keep an extra wench and battery on board just in case. The wench gets used to raise and lower my mast so I can do it single handed. I dont think I would beach it but I can get close enough to shore to walk in without getting my shorts wet. A huge advantage is not having to depend on someone else and have to pay them to pull it out of the water. If there is a big storm on its way or I just want to give her a proper bath hook up the trailer and pull her out. I always dream of a bigger boat but 26 ft is definately big enough for my family and a few friends. It also fits my finances well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Buffalo-20120523-00526 (2).jpg (40.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Cheektowaga-20121127-00332.jpg (62.7 KB, 10 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook