SailNet Community - View Single Post - Speed/Depth/Wind conundrum
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Re: Speed/Depth/Wind conundrum

I have the Airmar DST 800 speed/ depth/temp sensor right now, and it works great.

I'm not so keen on the GMI 10 display (which I have). It works particularly badly for wind info, as there is no adjustability for the damping / averaging.

So now I have :

Airmar DST 800
Simrad IS20 wind transducer and display (works beautifully)
GMI 10 for depth / speed / temp display (will replace it with one of the latest MFDs eventually)
Lowrance HDS-5m plotter (also displaying depth)

Everything is on NMEA 2000 so can share data. You can use the GMI 10 for second wind display, the IS20 uses boat speed data to calculate true wind, the plotter will display stuff too, but be careful here as it's easy to clutter up the screen.

So once you go with NMEA 2000 the expandability is excellent.

If your budget is limited to around $1000, personally I'd get the DST 800, and an NMEA 2000 chartplotter. You can always add a wind system and extra displays later (skip the GMI 10 and get something like the Simrad is40)

The pitfall with this NMEA 2000 stuff is calibrations. For example, the Lowrance plotter will not calibrate the knotlog. The Garmin ones will. Not sure about others. All the displays like GMI 10, is40, and so on, will.

Last edited by MarkSF; 02-01-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook