SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are Boats Built in the 70's Just Too Tired
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Are Boats Built in the 70's Just Too Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
You are right, my wording was a bit broad.

In my limited experience, it's the "small" things that add up over time. The quality of materials used, the way things are installed, etc. For instance, are the winches backed by backing plates properly, how are the chainplates supported, etc. They may ship from the factory fine, but how is the construction in those areas going to hold up 10/20/30/40 years from now or under unusual circumstances?

In one specific example, I know of a Hunter that ran aground and sustained fairly substantial damage to the keel and hull/keel joint area. During the repair, it was noted that the keel had nothing in place to properly spread the load of the keel along the bottom of the hull. For 99% of the boats out there, it doesn't matter, but for that small percentage where it's gonna be necessary, it makes a difference. It also represents the general attitude and time that was put into assembling the boat properly.

So by "not well thought out", I mean that the little details were overlooked or unwise decisions were made in small things, not the design or layout of the boat itself.

They have their use and they are fine for that, don't get me wrong. The point I was getting at is that the forces of time and neglect are more powerful against those boats than others.
Was that a small one? The reason I ask is the 38 I've sailed has a very elaborate grid in the bilge. It also has a shoal, wing keel so the leverage forces are small for the size of boat. I've never seen a Hunter "smile".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook