Join Date: Mar 2006
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 11
Re: Currents in the C&D Canal
I'm hoping for late Spring/early Summer while there's still some breeze. I'm not interested in "motoring around DelMarVa".
Failing that, end of Summer/early Autumn when the breeze picks back up.
With predominant winds from the South, I think I'd like to do a counter-clockwise trip so that my upwind work is in the Chesapeake, with lots of "bail out" points, and a downwind run out in the Atlantic. (Heading North).
Keep us posted on your plans. I'm hoping this will be the year I tick this trip off my "want to do" list.
I too felt a CCW trip would offer the best chance of sailing. I'd be looking to do the trip in fairly compressed fashion. Not has hardcore as TGOR, but at least paying homage. Thinking an overnight down the bay for crew practice and depending on timing, maybe a stop before exiting the Chessy. For sure I'd plan a stop at Cape May to rest and wait for favorable tides headed up the Delaware. I'm not sure if my TM C36 can use the Cape May canal so thinking maybe I'd have to go the long way 'round.
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36