SailNet Community - View Single Post - Currents in the C&D Canal
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Currents in the C&D Canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor View Post
Keep us posted on your plans. I'm hoping this will be the year I tick this trip off my "want to do" list.

I too felt a CCW trip would offer the best chance of sailing. I'd be looking to do the trip in fairly compressed fashion. Not has hardcore as TGOR, but at least paying homage. Thinking an overnight down the bay for crew practice and depending on timing, maybe a stop before exiting the Chessy. For sure I'd plan a stop at Cape May to rest and wait for favorable tides headed up the Delaware. I'm not sure if my TM C36 can use the Cape May canal so thinking maybe I'd have to go the long way 'round.
CCW is smart as it gives you that 6.5-7 hours run up the Delaware tidal/ current advantage as the opposite was is 5.5 hrs, Plus you can generally ride it ride it through the C&D Canal.

Bridge is 55 ft at MLW in Canal. We are 53 without antaneea. Going around is about an extra 2 hours. You dont have to go far outside as there is a channel right off of the point. Have done this a number of times.

Coming in the Cape May inlet is like the Indy 500 and the Winternationals NHRA at the same time.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 02-02-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook