SailNet Community - View Single Post - SWING KEELS GOOD or BAD?
View Single Post
post #16 of Old 02-02-2013
Smier

Re: SWING KEELS GOOD or BAD?

All very good points, BUT they almost all fall into what I would classify as human error. All but "failure mode 3" are easily prevented or remedied with a little prior planning. The majority of cable/pin/trunk issues arise from lack of maintenance. Yes, it is more work, but in my case for instance, I can't have a full keel boat if I want to sail on our families lake in Ontario. In late summer the water level in our bay has dropped as low as 2 feet at the dock. We can't even launch a full keel sailboat at the boat launch. Properly maintained, many of these have lasted decades with out an issue. I am planning on replacing my keel pin, brackets, and cable this year. My boat just turned 30 years old, and I plan to venture out into more challenging waters soon, so I want to ensure everything is perfect working order. For me it's a small price to pay to be able to sail where I want to! The other huge plus is I can easily take my boat and my family anywhere I get the urge to sail. So in my opinion, swing keels are great, but it really comes down to what your needs are. I see a full keel sailboat, and see it as limiting to my sailing adventures...

1980 Compac 16
1983 Starwind 22 w/pop top
Trailer-sailing our way from Pennsylvania to Ontario Canada and soon the Chesapeake Bay!!!
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome