SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

I think a lot of it in the USA is that younger people just don't get outside as much. I might be accused of being an "old fart", but .. hey, I'm just not that old, and I would definitely say that there aren't as many young people outside doing things as their used to be. They don't play basketball at the courts, tennis, they don't do pickup touch football games, gone are the nerf footballs, the basketball in every young person's hands, skateboarding, ... how often do you see a gang of young people riding bicycles around where you live ? I believe that I am being objective when I write all of that, young people just don't do as much outdoors. I remember being young, we were all dark tan in the summers, all of us, because we spent so much time outdoors, how often do you see a farmer's tan on a 20 something's arm and neck these days ? Don't tell me they are just using more sun screen! I enjoyed reading the posts in this thread but I don't agree with the posts that say there are just as many American young people outdoors as their ever were, that's not true. Maybe it is true in other countries, but it is not true around where I have lived. That this eventually translates into fewer young adults sailing long distances on boats seems obvious to me.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook