SailNet Community - View Single Post - Speed/Depth/Wind conundrum
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013

bigdogandy is on a distinguished road
Re: Speed/Depth/Wind conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys05 View Post
That isn't a bad deal at all! Think its a better deal than a Garmin GMI10 Speed/Depth/Wind at the same price? Faster has me leaning chartplotter now, but I'm still enticed by shiny things!
If you're studying on chartplotters consider the Garmin 541s.....it's in the same price range and has the full complement of chartplotter features. I have one and with my limited electronical experience and aptitude was able to integrate it with my Raymarine wheelpilot. I chose Garmin because at the time it sounded like they had a better reliability record, and their electronic charts are excellent.

BTW - I opted for the more expensive (about $200) bronze thru-hull transducer because I wanted the depth and water temp readings, and I'm a freak about having bronze ilo plastic for any thru-hull below the waterline. Total installed cost for me was about $900. And I can add other instruments or sensors in the future and have them display on the Garmin's screen......
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook