SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Linjett 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
What strikes me about the Linjett, is that appears to be well constructed, nicely finished but with very dated hull form that is loaded with gimmicks like the under deck jib sheets or the power winches which seem out of place on a 'performance cruiser' of this size.

It is also quite heavy for its length and a bit undercanvassed. Looking at the sailing clip, it appears to have adequate stabilty, but is not especially stiff (as naval architects and yacht designers use that term in the States).

Boats like that are a bit of a puzzle. That hullform is something you might expect out of the mid-1980's and there are lots of mid 1980's boats around with similar hullforms (The 35' Wauquiez Pretorien comes to mind). That period was not a highpoint in yacht design. But for whatever the reason, the Linjett used that hull form but has gone through and updated the rig proportion and deck hardware.

It is a bit of a mystery to me.

Jeff
This is not a slow or old designed boat. I make mine the words that were used to describe the boat when it was presented by the magazine "yacht" to its readers:

"A Modern but traditional yacht the Linjett 34 relies on simplicity of operation and consistent adaptation to the waters of the Scandinavia Archipelago.

The shipyard of North of Stockholm developed a concept line of fast sailing yachts. The new 34, designed as the others by Mats Gustafsson is no exception. The 34 follows in design the 37 and 40 foot big sisters with a more modern hull shape a wider transom a more efficient keel and relatively more sail area ...."

Regarding the sailing potential, when the boat was presented on a popular Swedish sail blog race oriented someone remember the very good sailing performance of the previous mode, the Linjett 33:

"Remember the Ornörunt 2008 race where a Linjett 33 in light breeze 2-4 m / s tacked on all "new" racers Prima 38, Ridas 31, Melges24, first 36.7, First 27.7, Arcona400, Dehler 29 and Dehler 36 . A small express was well the only one that hung on reasonably, Linjetten sailed fantastically well ...As an all-round boat the Linjett is a sailboat that does not require eight men on the side for going fast."

And that's why I say (as he is saying) thst the Linjett 33 is a stiff boat and by Stiff I mean what most Sailing NA mean by stiff, including David Gerr director of one of the main American NA schools: A boat that can carry a lot of sail area regarding its wet surface, a powerful boat.

Regarding the boat being heavy I don't think so. For instance a Salona 34, a light boat weights 4900 kg, the Linjet weights 5500 but if you consider only the weight of the boat without Ballast the Salona weights 3500 and the Linjett 33 weights 3300kg. In fact while the Salona has a ballast of 1400kg (B/D 29%) while the Linjett has 2200kg (B/D 40%).

If he consider that the Linjett is more beamier than the Salona (3.45m to 3.35m) and has more form stability, the superior added RM provided by the much superior B/D is a measure of how stiff the Linjett is, considering that the Salona 34 is not a tender boat.

Regarding performance the Lynjett is probably just overall a bit slower than the Arcona 340 and that means a fast cruiser, even a performance cruiser. I believe that if overall it will be a bit slower, on a blow upwind that big stiffness will probably make it faster on that particular situation.

http://www.salonayachts.com/document..._salona_34.pdf

I don't think that the hull " is very dated". It is a typical hull of a boat typed upwind and the shape is not very different from the one of the J122 or the It 10.98, both modern and very efficient boats with modern hulls. Yes it is a traditional line but one that is followed by many contemporary performance cruisers. I would not call it very dated.

Regarding the electric winch it is certainly an option that the owner of that particular boat required. Regarding the under deck jib sheets, it is a common feature in almost all modern cruisers, particularly performance cruisers and has besides the visual advantage to present a clean boat, permits you to work in the boom or at the head of the mainsail without stepping on the lines or trip on them.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 02-02-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook