SailNet Community - View Single Post - Newbe with no experience buys big boat
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013

glenndamato is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

TakeFive: Joyce and Doug (not their real names) know about the book, but they have not responded since it was published. Joyce took the photo that was used to create the cover, and she is cool with my using it.

I also disguised the characters Megan, Richard and Loukia so they are not possible to track down. Characters from "InfoData" (not the real name of the company) and some of the characters from the marina have been disguised and combined too. Duffy was that man's real name, however - everything about him is the same as real life. Tweety and Jon and my brother Paul and his wife Katie and their three kids are in the book with their real names. All characters are accurate with respect to their age, appearance, gender, and personal characteristics.

In the US memoir writing is considered a form of free press, so it is not necessary to get someone's permission to include them in a book. However, libel laws still apply - no one was defamed in this book, of course.

It is always true (at least in the US) that you cannot publish a photo of another person for commercial purposes without their expressed permission. This is also strictly enforced. In order to keep this project as simple as possible, I decided early on not to publish anyone else's likeness. The only exception is "Karl," the German guy who went to the top of my mast to unfoul our jib. I don't think he'll have a problem with it!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook