SailNet Community - View Single Post - rusting stainless
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013

Arjen is on a distinguished road
Re: rusting stainless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
It could be 316L active... But most likely it is some cheap 300 series like 304, or 300. Either way, NEVER SAND STAINLESS. whatever you had, you not have active stainless because you have sanded away the passivated (if there was one) layer. Giver everything a good clean, get the wax off of it, then dip it in a vinegar bath.

This will re-passivated it. It may still rust, but it should be much slower than before.
just googled about passivating. It seems like it is rather critical what exact acid solution is used and how long and what temperature etc. It is a 2 meter high and 2 meter wide construction that is impossible to immerge in a bath really unless i'd fill a swimming pool with acid...

Now that it is sanded anyway, i guess ill have to just keep doing this every 3 months or so. It should take many years before the amount of metal removed like this is getting any significant i figure. I could make a test case of the first coming months though, partly just seeing if it helps when i put some vigager onto it without being able to immerge it, partly leaving it turtle waxed and part of it completely untreated. Any other suggestions that i could try ?

Last edited by Arjen; 02-02-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook