SailNet Community - View Single Post - Newbe with no experience buys big boat
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
JonEisberg that looks like an amazing place, bet there summer is not very long though! Did you take the photos? The lighting is beautiful and the detail is amazing.
Yes, the pics are mine, thanks...

I'm not sure the season is that much shorter than a place like Maine, actually, the Gulf Stream has a considerable modifying effect on the climate of the south coast. It's certainly long enough to see quite a bit, however. On my trip up there a few summers ago, I didn't leave NJ until almost mid-July, and was back home by Labor Day, and that featured spending 5 days in Lunenberg riding out the passage of a tropical system, a week in the Magdalen Islands, and another 5 days exploring the Bras d' Or Lakes on the way back... Once you get up there, you can see a lot in a couple of weeks, things are pretty close together along the south coast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
Looks amazing!

I read about it a little bit online, the blurb I read indicated the population was < 150 people! How do they take to visitors?
Everywhere I went, the locals were extremely welcoming, and very appreciative of the effort any cruiser will have made to get up there. Francois was one of the only spots that has a dock dedicated to transient visitors, most places you just come alongside the working wharf. This was one of the handful of times in Newfoundland I was in the company of another cruising boat...

As delightful as the inhabited outports are, however, what really fascinated me were the abandoned settlements... The south coast of Nfld has to be one of the best places anywhere, for one who loves exploring ghost towns from a boat... This is the once-thriving outport of Petites...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook