SailNet Community - View Single Post - Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
Re: Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to visit Deal Island. In the mornings here many/some watermen gather at the Harborside grocery betwen -6-7am It's the unofficial gathering of the Island leaders and bussinessmen assoc. as well as anyone esle who is brave or thick skinned enough to sit in.
I make it a point to "nary miss a day" lest I should become the days "meal" of conversation. It also has become a great place to be available for small repair jobs.
Yesterday I was finishing my coffee when a well respected waterman of considerable pedigree and experience was removing the old Detroit from his scrape boat to transport it in his "drudge" boat to Scott's marina in chance,MD. I siezed the chance to help w/ the crane work and ask to accompany him on the round trip journey. My purpose 3 fold, get to ride along to hear a "yarn" ,get to see the route from the water,and finally , get to get an up close look at the fabled "skipjacks" that berth there in Chance.
Everything fell into place and all objectives were met.
I'm fascinated w/ skipjacks and often verbalize it during morning coffee ,over the jeers and objections of those who have actually worked them and are quick to dispell the romance through the reality of their own personal experiences. Still, much to there chagrin, I profess that one time I must work on a skipjack for a cold winter season. If for no other reason than to say I did.
I saw the Caleb Jones, the ada may, the krents tied up along the wharf. and on the hard was another skipjack whoes name escapes me now with her bottom almost entirey removed from the waterline down being rebuilt. Before that day I didn't realize the size and massive construction of these vessels. I hope they live on for a long ,long time. And if I'm lucky,(or crazy,some would suggest) I'll get to serve aboard one,one day-soon, before I'm too old to be adventurous any longer.
For now we are still happily enjoying Smith Island. The thing about this place for us is the people who have welcomed us and the proximity to great sailing on the Chessy. An almost unlimited number of places to go . I knew we would probably not be bringing the boat back to NY as in the past years , but I never thought we would be spending the winter in the Chesapeake as we apparently have !
So, I'm looking for an inexpensive location to berth the boat in the next month so that we can use it as a base for further chesapeake sailing activities and easy access to places like smith Is. and Tangier, as well as numerous as yet undiscovered locations on the largest estuary on the east coast.
Feel free to make suggestions. We've got time,at least a bit more, before we must return to a different reality,for a while.
As always , we're in "No Hurry"

Aboard S/V No Hurry

I hope you are all enjoying this day God has granted us.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook