SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.

28K views 183 replies 24 participants last post by  joethecobbler 
#1 ·
Summer has past fall is definetaly here. So it's time for us to cast off the dock lines in Upstate and begin the southernly travel.
The last few weeks have been the usual struggle to decide what to bring and what to abandon.
The 5 cu. freezer quit so I tossed it, more storage space.
The woodstove (a Mini-Smith) has been serviced and installed, the interior got a coat of varnish,the usual bottom job,rebedded the through hulls,removed and cleaned diesel tank,added water tank,etc.etc.
Couldn't decide on hard or inflatable so, bringing both.
Solar as primary power w/ 300w gas gen. on standby.
Old crappy main sail and numerous other sails.
All that's left is to host the Bon Voyage party at the Marina today answer numerous redundant questions about the itinerary and time frame (it takes as long as it takes and were going to the place where we'll turn around) and then depart the next day or so after a wind down from the often emotional goodbye's of family and friends who insist on details of the trip we are honestly unable to provide concerning travel times and destinations.
Oh, and also make the determination as to whether or not I want to blog our travels or start a fund request sight or commercialize the trip or just keep to ourselves and be anonamous ! ?? ! !
If I blog I'll have to get the first mate involved to spell check and proof read, no doubt.
anyway, here we go again !

JTC and crew aboard SV Exposition - Sailing as "No Hurry"

website and blog coming soon ...... maybe...

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice looking Tartan on your web page.
I often anchor near the tappan zee bridge on the east side between the tarrytown yacht cup and the terrytown boat club out of the current and i maybe ten feet or so.
I've ancored there w/ success acouple times. probably will again this trip.

Today we finally got loaded and departed from lock CS-4 to the east and went as far as Seneca Falls ,NY to tie up along side for the evening. We arrived about 5pm and took advantage of the electric,water and laundry available. The Canal corporation has put alot of money into improving the available services along the canal and I like it. It makes for a nice trip across NY.
We'll hope to leave in the Morning , I hope the rain stops and the day is pleasant.

#6 ·
Hit up Abigail's Restaurant in Waterloo. Easy walking distance from the Canal.

Brad
s/v KIVALO

Nice looking Tartan on your web page.
I often anchor near the tappan zee bridge on the east side between the tarrytown yacht cup and the terrytown boat club out of the current and i maybe ten feet or so.
I've ancored there w/ success acouple times. probably will again this trip.

Today we finally got loaded and departed from lock CS-4 to the east and went as far as Seneca Falls ,NY to tie up along side for the evening. We arrived about 5pm and took advantage of the electric,water and laundry available. The Canal corporation has put alot of money into improving the available services along the canal and I like it. It makes for a nice trip across NY.
We'll hope to leave in the Morning , I hope the rain stops and the day is pleasant.

#4 ·
I bet you'll be traveling through some nice foliage on your way down. Going through the NY canal system is on my bucket list.

I've come to respect the reversing current in the Hudson so I try not to anchor out overnight in the river proper. There is a nice little anchorage, out of the river just south of Haverstraw Marina, behind Bowline Point park (hexagonal gazebo at north side of entrance). If you decide to check this place out you should approach from the SE and hug the south side of the entrance as there is a nasty shoal in the middle just inside the entrance channel. I think that google maps shows where the shoal is but I found it all by myself this summer, the hard way; hard aground that is. This location should be quieter than listening to the traffic on the Tappan Zee bridge all night.
If you'd rather take a hot shower and use a shore side head you could spring for the $25/night guest mooring at the Nyack Boat Club where we keep our T27. NBC is on the western shore from the anchorage you have used before. Club launch monitors VHF ch 9. Restaurants within walking distance and the club usually stocks ice.

Even though I live in lower Manhattan I choose to drive up to Nyack to sail as the scenery is more to my liking. When near NYC where do usually anchor or tie up?
I know that some like to anchor just south and west of Lady Liberty. I've never done that.
The cheapest moorings on the Manhattan side are operated by NYC Parks dept. at 79th Street. I think it is $40/night for a transient mooring but I gather that they charge you extra for stuff like using the dinghy dock. I forget if they have shower facilities or not.
The next cheapest mooring on Manhattan are just north of the World Financial Center and are $75/night. They have a launch which would put you right at Chambers Street. This facility is now operated by Liberty Landing Marina and I'm not sure if your $75 mooring fee entitles you to use their facilities which are located just across the river.

Another place I just found out about this year is in Hoboken called the 14th St. Marina, or something like that. I have no idea how much they charge or what facilities they have but it would be a short PATH train ride to the chaos of NYC, if that is even on your radar. Perhaps some good old fashioned chaos would be just the thing after your hopefully bucolic trip through the canals and down the Hudson.

#5 ·
I checked out that haverstraw location and it looks interesting , if I'm looking at the right spot.
when I get to NYC I usualy anchor west of lady Liberty on the jersey side.
Today we made it from Seneca Falls,ny to Baldwinsville,NY on the canal motoring , supposed to get some frost tonight, might have to fire up the wood stove !

#7 ·
Kivalo- sorry I'm way past abigails . I'm in Baldwinsville waiting to make a dash across the Onieda Lake , about 25-30 miles brewerton to Sylvan beach.
Besides, eating at abigails cost too much, actually eating out at any restaurant costs too much . I always feel like C@#* the next day after I eat out. And , I'm very frugile and prefer to prepare my own fare. I feel I do a great job and the service and company is always to my liking .
But after you've enjoyed your self on thier fine cuisine feel free to stop by for a drink and a bit of lively conversation.

#8 ·
I have done the trip before, it should be nice this time of year. Enjoy it man!

Brad

#9 ·
Joe,
Yes. That Bowline Point anchorage is a great place to be in a blow or storm; no fetch, no current and decent holding. I'd rather be tucked in there then out in the river if the weather got nasty.
It is a small pond really, formed by the digging of clay materials for making bricks which Haverstraw was famous for almost a century ago. There are some stores that could be reached by dinghy and a short hike on the south side of the anchorage. The power plant close by made a pretty quiet neighbor when I stayed there overnight this summer.
I generally prefer my own cooking to eating out as well. Healthier and cheaper.

You are still a ways from the Mohawk/Hudson intersection. Better get that wood stove fired up and enjoy the ride. It is even almost cold down here in NYC tonight (48F).

#10 ·
great then, i think if I get to that point on the hudson I'll definetaly try to get in there. As you suggested approaching from the SE and keeping to the south shore to avoid the shoal on the north side. What is the depth there ? I draw 3 1/2 - 4' loaded. Any issues w/ that ?
probably in about a week or less depening on weather and how quick I get the mast stepped at Castleton boat club. Last time north we hit the open house party at castleton, three days later we got underway again !!
this saiing life can get tough some times.

#17 ·
Joe,

Your draft should be fine for anchoring behind Bowline Point. Our T27 draws 3-1/2' and the only reason I ran aground is because I steered us right onto the shoal near the entrance. Now I have local knowledge!
I've been told that the depth in there is 10 - 20'.

I spent Tuesday night on my boat tied up to our club dock. Forecast low was for 48F or so but the river was still almost 70F so it felt pretty comfortable and not bone chilling cold.

Stay warm but hurry on down. It is getting cold out there.

#11 ·
Made it to Sylvan beach,NY fron Baldwinsville,NY today. about 60 milis motoring w/ the mast layed down on the deck , due to traveling the Erie Canal.
last night was cold outside , but we were warm as we plugged in at the Baldwinsville,NY lock and ran the electric heat. Great place , only $5 for a 30amp for the night and free water and dockage !! Even had showers for $0.25 ! that's 25 CENTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tonight will be in the 40's and there is no elec or water in Sylvan beach so I hooked up the wood stove in case it gets to cool tonight Everything else we have onboard (power water etc.)
Saw another sailboat headedsouth , passed us at the lock while we were having breakfast, they said they were going to Fla. also (from Ithica,NY) and there is another sailboat tied up here w/ NY on the stern , haven't spoken w/ them yet.
Great trip so far , can't wait to get the mast up on the hudson and get to the Chessey.

#13 ·
well, we wiled the day away at sylvan beach . wandered around town and met another sailor up from the lower hudson headed south. Saw a few other saiboats headed west, why , I don't know as it's october and the only hing west is more cold.
A wicked front blew through this afternoon so we loosed the dock lines and motored to the next lock to gather and cut wood for the wood stove as well as get away from the inlet of onieda lake and the high winds from the west.
the wood stove is cranking and te crew is asleep.
Incidently , I'm getting internet through a foxfi app as a hotspot running on a droid phone using the "straight talk" prepay unlimited talk text,internet for $45 a month it's the second month I've had it and so far it has performed well.
hope that continues.
Before we left I bought a marine battery cherger at Wally world for $50 and it did a great job de-sulfating and fully charging the 4 t-105's I use as a house bank and everything is running strong, fridge,lights inverters,etc.
Tommorrow we'll put on a little distance across the canal eastward.

#14 ·
Another 50 miles behind us yesterday and we find Ourselves at Lock 18 where the Mohawk river meets the Erie canal. Bye Bye Erie canal hello Mohawk river.
All along the canal the communities have different approachs to the canal some offer dockage as a courtousy to entice boaters to visit and others seem less inviting, whie stil others are inviting for a small fee ! And that's fine. The thing is I've yet to find a comprehensive listing of te facilities offered and the fees or lack of in any of the broshures supported by the state. kind of makes it interesting and suprising as you go.
SO, cold nights (20's) and rain forcast the next 2-3 days. Gotta get to the hudson and further south to find 70 Degreees again !

#15 ·
Hi Joe,

I'd recommend the Kingston/Rondout City docks they are only a couple bucks to dock and there are lots of good eats and services to walk to. I'm docked across the creek and just west 1/4 mile at Rondout Yacht Basin if you need anything. Diesel Fuel at the Yacht Basin and laundry and showers too. There is also a nice bay to anchor just south of the light house on the West side if you just want to anchor. Another 15 miles or so south you will see the WalkWay over the Hudson at Poughkeepsie ( worth checking out ) and on the West side at Mariners Harbor they let boats dock there overnight if they eat there . Food is just okay but its scenic. I live right there if you need anything once again send me a pm, I could drive you to the supermarket or whatever.

I'm away for the weekend but back monday.

Sal

#19 ·
Wow, Thanks everyone for the information as well as the kindly invites ! !
We have been using the woodstove everynight as the temps are a bit cool. (forcast low 20's tonight-ouch). I'm tied to the "Fonda Wall" currently on the Mowhawk river section or the NYS Canal, As I was informed the net lock is no place to tie up to due to the deteriating concrete and damage from last years hurricane Irene that damaged alot of the eastern portion of the NYS canal system Knocking it out of commision in early or mid october (can't remember exactly) and forcing some enroute to make other plans for traveling south last year.
We were unable to go due to the closure and had to leave the boat in Upstate NY for the winter on the hard. I think it was the first time this boat ever was out of the water in the frozen north !
Sal Paradise- thanks , I'll do my best to contact you prior to our arrival to that area.
Miatapaul - OK, but your making me self concious about my boat now ! I hope we can get together.
CalebD- Cool, I was wondering about the depths and my draft . That definately is a protected spot ! And that area can be tough to find a good al around achorage. thanks.
Resolute_zs - Awe man , I'm on a 1976 Bayliner Buccaneer 320. Its a center cockpit sloop I found for cheap 4-5 years ago anchored in Boca Ciega Bay ! (of all places) it was foundering at anchor owned by a young guy who apparently never actually sailed and it was on the identified list of (dan-dan-Daaaaa) Derelict Vessels (AaaaaaaaaHhhhhh ! !)
I saved it from a sure sinking or becoming another beach ornament. When I was there I took it into the municipal Marina in Gulfport and the Marina Manager knew all about the state of the boat and was only too happy at the prospect of it leaving the anchorage. I though the city was gonna throw me a party they were so glad to see one of the anchor derelicts removed ! When I found it itwas literally FULL of trash from stem to stern. 35 yardbags full, I filled almost every dumpster in the marina. (with the marina managers permission and understanding that I was removing the boat from the area, which I did in 2-3 days)
Hope to post some photo's soon.
Ok , stay tuned.
Thanks for your help,advice and interest in the trip.
Hope others can benefit too -

#20 ·
So, tonight we end up tied to the fonda wall in Mohawk,NY It's a canal authority facility where they apparently haul out barges and tugs and other canal maintenence equipment.
A 10-20 acre fenced in facility.
As it is friday night everybody is gone (workers) and the place is locked up, as in - we're locked IN ! it's supposed to be for docking for free for transients traversing the canal, just to let you know we're not tresspassing or anything.
We float up at about 6pm and I secure the boat and want to ride my little 20" folding Citta 6 speed down the road to a TA truckstop for some diesel additive for cold weather (supposed to get real cold tonight) and grab a gallon of Milk or two ( my 8 year old and I are admitted milk lovers and wife likes it too,for coffee)
So off I go to find out I'm locked in ,6" fence all around.
Except for a 50 ' section on the southwest section bordering the wooded lot .
I exit there to come out along someones back yard that borders it. I saw a couple young kids out playing in the yard and mom ever watchful so I took my hat off and introduced myself and told her why I was coming up out of the woods w/ a bycycle so that she wouldn't think I was a wack or call the cops on me.
She was cool with it and told me that the dollar store was just 2 blocks away and I didn't need to go a mile to the truckstop , for which I thanked her and ended up going to both anyway to get all the stuff I needed and wanted.
Now, I gotta paint the picture for you to get the thrust of the situation. you see I'm about 300 Lbs. and only 5'8" and not exactly GQ with a big long bushy grey beard and half bald (sorta like a homeless santa), and to make matters worse I wacked me head on the spreader (the mast is on deck) and got a big black bruise in the middle of my forhead (hurt like hell, almost fell overboard !)
So , I try to remember that when I'm coming out of the woodline in back of peoples houses !
So here I am riding around on a 20" folding bike Looking like a circus bear w/ a bag of groceries balanced in a little basket hanging on the handlebars .
Yea, I get a few looks , and draw the attention of local sherrif often. So I always carry ID and my VA card, and boater safety card. that usually convinces most LEO's I'm not an escaped mental patient when I tell em' I'm "on a sailboat w/ my family headed to Key West" (you should see the confusion on their faces, followed by a perplexed look and a "your what?")
Anyway, an hour later I'm back on the boat with the goods and totaly exhausted. Mom's making dinner 8 year old daughter "Marina" is elated I bought cookies, and even the cat "grey" "mewed" welcome back. I sat in the cockpit wiped out cooling down.
If I'm gonna get that Pedicab job in Key West I gotta get all the bycycling in I can to build up my Stamina.
I get some rest, this vacation / cruising is exhausting.

#21 ·
Joe,
Your last report was hilarious!
The woman who's back yard you came through has probably had strangers entering her property from there before.
Glad to hear that the LEO's still have respect for those that resemble Santa Clause.

I'd meet up with you too at some point if you like. Either up the Hudson near Haverstraw when you meet MiataPaul or down in NY Harbor.

Keep the home fires burning.

#22 ·
Long day today, or more acurately , Long night. I think I got about 2-3 hours contiguous, As I was stoking the woodstove to keep it warm for the crew and the Funny part is this morning they said it was so hot they had to kick the covers off ! (woops) Hey ,just didn't want anybody catching cold.
We cast off at the usual crack of 9am. (can't seem to get it going) with plenty of frost on the boat, frozen dock lines don't coil well. By 10 or 11 the sun was begininng to work it's magic and itwas a beautiful day to travel the last leg of the Mohawk river to welcoming Waterford.
We pulled up to the guard gate at the top of the "staircase" at lock 6 and after securing to the wall I promptly grabbed my trusty rechargable saw and helped eliminate all of last years storm driven driftwood from the surrounding area for fuel in the wood stove.
Even as we didn't arrive until after 5pm the lock tender was about and I introduced myself and told him what we were doing (scavenging wood) and he was cool w/ it.
So we're locked inside a fenced area again (for our own protection?) until the lock master returns in the morning.
I failed to mention that in Sylvan Beach,NY I spotted a fella on a 34' columbia (If memory serves) a flat decked boat. and introduced myself and crew. His name was "Skip" and he is from the haverstraw area of the hudson up for a joyride on the Erie canal. We traveled in tandem for a few days leaving him in Little Falls at the town operated Marina/seawall in the capable hands of "chris" the harbor master . Chris was a pleasure to meet and We all enjoyed $2 showers $5.00 pump outs and if you chose to stay $10 for dockage and for an additional $20 you could hook up to water and electric. We said our fairwells to skip and continued on.
Now we'll rest up this evening as it's quite warmer and I can be less diligent w/ the heat. It's time to switch gears and shuffle everything about to get ready to become a sailboat again.
I've gotta check all the lights and all the rigging and try to remember how it all goes together.
I am excited to get the mast up, but first a day or so prep in Waterford and a close eye on the weather. And it looks favorable the next couple days , forcast says sun and 60 degrees ,works for me.
So tonight I burned some burgers and dogs on the grill , ate too much , and am anticipating the sunrise.
Yeee-Ha can't wait to get down the way.
One other issue is I need to find some hudson river and NYC Harbor charts as I returned the ones I had borrowed 4 years ago to The Gordon Family (check out their blog and book google Amicus Sailing,cool family) whom we met in the dismal swamp a few years back. They are from MN and coincidentely heading south again as we are .
When We visited them in Baldwinsvile last week Mark (Gordon) asked if by chance I still had the charts and I said of course, and was able to return them to him for his own use again .
But it left me w/out so I guess I'll have to find some more - anyone have some they want to part with?? I suspect they can't be too hard to find.
We'll be at the wall tommorrow in Waterford, I understand it's the last sunday for the farmers market, I hope to stock up on some produce as well as everything else before setting off south.
Some have inquired as to out route. We hope to go into the chessey from the delaware
( I dreaad the Delaware) and south through the estuary stopping along the way. Definately Annapolis ( probably anchor up spa creek) I'm in the market for a Mainsail that actually fits the mast and boom (as apposed to the thing I currently have) and of course I'll have to swing by sailrite for a dream walk through and make a small offering.
So , don't alert the harbormaster ! last time we were their the harbormaster was real nice and loaded us up with good intel on the dingy landings and a heads up about the showers and the honey boat (pumpout) it was welcomed info.

Stay tuned , the fun and adventure hasn't even begun!!

#26 ·
While I'm a believer in having printed charts aboard, a trip like this screams for electronic charts. Depending on what you are using to surf the web, there are many free or very low cost options.

I'm a big fan of Charts and Tides on the iPad/iPhone. $25 for the entire East Coast and you don't need a signal to use them. Tidal and current data as well. Even more useful would be the Active Captain database with all marina and anchorage data along with user reviews of each. Of course, you need the i-hardware for this one, but there are many options like it out there for all sorts of hardware.

#27 ·
Score !

This morning after the initial downpour we made our way down the staircase of locks to Waterford,NY and are currently tied to the wall.
Upon arrival we found that it was the last sunday of the farmers market and availed ourselves of some fresh veggies . Also, the waterford Police Dept. and Fire Dept was having a cookout w/ hotdogs,popcorn,ice cream,soda , pumpkin csrving ,a clown doing face painting and a hay ride (the crew went twice !).
Docking is free for 48 hours and electricity is available for $10 and showers for $5 , you get a key to the shoers and can use at your liesure.
A great place and real nice people. It seems everytime we pass through here they have a festival of some sort. The first time it was a steamboat festival, the second a tugboat roundup and toady he pumpkinfest. what luck.
Also I got to talk to a few of the other boaters docked and met a couple from canada on their way to Alaska via Bermuda-puerto rico-panama canal route. aboard there 40' catamaran. They have already circumnavigated 20 years ago when their children were young on a 30' steel sailboat. Now there on there own and enjoying themselves.They had passed up in Sylvan but didn't stop.
While saying hello's I mentioned I was looking for a hudson river chart and they said they had an extra and gave it to me , What luck ! no I just need to find a NYC harbor chart and I'll be all set.
Wel the rain has stopped the sun is out (mostly) and it's time to take a bycycle ride to the autoparts store for some bulbs for the spreaders and steamer light.
Only 15 miles to castleton boat club to step the mast and we'll be good to go.

stay tuned it's gonna get interesting.

#28 ·
Ahhh, Waterford NY, we have fond memories of there. We were there in September of 2003 for 8 days while we waited out Hurricaine Isabel. The wall was packed with some boats rafted to others. We made some friends who have remained good friends to this day. It was there that we really started to learn what the cruising life is all about - community.
Our friends stepped their mast at Castleton Boat yard and said they would never do it again. They didn't like being the afternoon's entertainment and the crane slip is open to the Hudson so everytime a baot goes by it's rock and roll time. I would recommend Riverview Marina in Catskill NY. It's a little more expensive but they do it for you and treat you very well.
If you cannot get paper charts for NY harbour go to active captain.com and use the interactive guide book.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.