SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013
Winch Fouler

TheWollard is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

I've read a lot, bot not all 45 pages of this discussion. Incredible.

There are a lot of good points and some lousy opinions of my generation which aren't accurate. Which is as to be expected. I'll feel the same way in 30 years.

Here are a few insights I thought I might share.

20-40 year-olds are learning new things. I've become a potter, welder, bike mechanic, sailor, painter, sculptor, and salesman in the past decade. Every cup in my cupboard and painting on my wall is handmade. I'm not unique. Visit your local farmers market. You'll find the under 40 crowd wants to get dirty, build from scratch. I know people who make their own beer, raise their own chickens, build bicycles and use them as their only mode of transport.

We see sailing as a huge expense. We need mentors.

If you know a young person interested, I recommend you offer to take them cruising. Then the numbers will follow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook