SailNet Community - View Single Post - US Navy ship strikes reef because of incorrect charts
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: US Navy ship strikes reef because of incorrect charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
The fuel is already off.. so I doubt she will be dumping thousands of gallons of oil onto the reef
Maybe not thousands of gallons... but I wasn't referring to the fuel.

It's the rest of the crap that gets washed away whilst cutting up a ship on a reef that causes the environmental damage: paint flakes (probably the worst contaminant to the ecosystem of a reef), bits of plastic and general rubbish that simply cannot be contained no matter how much money you throw at it. ..not to mention the wanton destruction of a wide area around the wreck caused by the salvage barges, prop wash from tugs and simply big pieces of the ship moving on the coral.

I feel for any locals who rely on the tourist diving for their income.. because if that's what your Navy has planned, it sounds like that reef, in particular, is stuffed already.