SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are Boats Built in the 70's Just Too Tired
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: Are Boats Built in the 70's Just Too Tired

Understand the logic of prior posters concerning the economics of new boats.Until now I never owned a new boat and never thought to have a semi custom boat made for me. Still think ( and acted on it) that:
1.depends where you are in life. I've owned multiple boats and know this one will be my last.
2.from the prior boats fairly definite in what I wanted on my last boat.
3. know my physical limitations and emotional aspirations.
4.know what physical hardships my wife will put up with and stay on the boat.
5. don't know what others consider a "blue water" vessel but know with in reason that the boat I live and travel on should be able to handle whatever we may encounter.
Yes,my boat loan will be greater than my mortgage ( until we sell the house). Yes, I will lose money selling my current boat which I turned into a blue water boat.
You guys can make fun of my power winches,flatscreen TV, internet access anywhere, being plummed for watermaker and washer/drier,. But I fully intend to be sailing in my eighties and making new landfalls on a boat that sails wonderfully and will always make me smile when I look back at her from the dinghy. I ate potatoes and spaghetti 7 days a week and worked the 80h weeks for too many years to not fully enjoy the last hurrah. It aint about the money - enjoy the opportunities the Lord blessed you with.

Sounds like you and many of the posters are in a different place. Getting an iconic boat with a cult following ( B40, BCC,HR, Valiant, Shannon etc.) probably will allow you the best chance to get in and out with little financial hardshp. That's great but make sure she moves your heart as you row away.

p.s.- still think ( my research suggests) once beyond coastal prodution boats if boat is held for 10+ yrs. cost of ownership not as onerious as prior posters would suggest.