SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailors rescued 900 miles off shore..
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailors rescued 900 miles off shore..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
well.. regarding the fastnet gale... if they had stayed with the boats.. how beaten up or even dead, would the sailors had been if they had been below decks during that aweful event?

I am not saying you are wrong.. you're not.. but I can think that pitchpoling below decks is a good way to break a lot of bones
This is the sticking point I keep coming back to as well.

The boat will be fine after it's rolled, tossed, and shaken. But how will you do inside this tumbling barrel when all the batteries break loose, soon after joined by the dining table that breaks loose, the toolbox that goes adrift, the plates and pots and pans, the spare parts, your scuba tank... and all of that big, heavy, sharp stuff goes flying past your head over and over again, or falls on top of you every time the floor becomes the ceiling and left becomes right and vice versa.

The liferaft is hell of lot softer. Given the alternative of riding inside the Body Pulverizer....

Most definitely the boat will probably survive, and statistics likely point to a better chance of survival when you stay on the vessel. But it's a harrowing thought.

Certainly makes the case for SECURED FOR SEA.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook