SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are Boats Built in the 70's Just Too Tired
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Are Boats Built in the 70's Just Too Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Understand the logic of prior posters concerning the economics of new boats.Until now I never owned a new boat and never thought to have a semi custom boat made for me. Still think ( and acted on it) that:
1.depends where you are in life. I've owned multiple boats and know this one will be my last.
2.from the prior boats fairly definite in what I wanted on my last boat.
3. know my physical limitations and emotional aspirations.
4.know what physical hardships my wife will put up with and stay on the boat.
5. don't know what others consider a "blue water" vessel but know with in reason that the boat I live and travel on should be able to handle whatever we may encounter.
Yes,my boat loan will be greater than my mortgage ( until we sell the house). Yes, I will lose money selling my current boat which I turned into a blue water boat.
You guys can make fun of my power winches,flatscreen TV, internet access anywhere, being plummed for watermaker and washer/drier,. But I fully intend to be sailing in my eighties and making new landfalls on a boat that sails wonderfully and will always make me smile when I look back at her from the dinghy. I ate potatoes and spaghetti 7 days a week and worked the 80h weeks for too many years to not fully enjoy the last hurrah. It aint about the money - enjoy the opportunities the Lord blessed you with.

Sounds like you and many of the posters are in a different place. Getting an iconic boat with a cult following ( B40, BCC,HR, Valiant, Shannon etc.) probably will allow you the best chance to get in and out with little financial hardshp. That's great but make sure she moves your heart as you row away.

p.s.- still think ( my research suggests) once beyond coastal prodution boats if boat is held for 10+ yrs. cost of ownership not as onerious as prior posters would suggest.
What you say is sound advice for you and your choice. Some of us actually enjoy our last harrahs and not just on our boats also., I agree with your acessments including the important " she moves your heart commmet" I dont begrude you creature comforts and elctric winches, TV..they make the boat enjoyable...and why not.

Outbounds are beautiful boats. One of my favorites at the shows and to sail also. I wouldnt take a haughty attitude though as your Outbound like the Valiants/ Shannons of the past (which you seemed to swiped at sarcasticly) will become as you said "an iconic boat with a cult following" in fifteen years.

Also I guess it is a matter of how we run our households too. I soon will be through with our mortage in 4 years. When looking at our last boat I intend to own it and have pride in that as opposed to renting it via a mortage from the bank. One which I will not be upside down in for at least 10 years. I will never have to worry should anything catastrophic occur to my wife and I that I will have to make payments or potentially loose our boat. In addition in the latter years of our life the money we have will be able to be spent freely no fixed cost for a boat payment. I guess I just feel more secure at the time in my life when I am not longer able to earn money, that I dont want to afford something which I am still paying on. Just how I was brought up and maybe my overconservative way of handling finances,

I beleive I can find a well made 10-20 year own solid cruiser in the 40-50 ft range and not pay the bank or the watch its value depreciate 25% immediately as I leave the dock for the first time.

Understand I dont begrudge someone with a differing philosophy than mine, but far be it from me to think insinuate that buying an older boat was a " cult following" decision based on doing without. Quite the opposite in our case. We dont want it to be the only thing in our lives and be tied down by it.

Have fun on your Outbound its a great boat. I hope your plans to sail into your 80s work out for you as you have planned. I gaurentee the rest of us will also have as much fun on boats we decide on as we get into our 80s also.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 02-04-2013 at 02:33 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook