SailNet Community - View Single Post - Repower confusion (horsepower)
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Repower confusion (horsepower)

I agree, turbo chargers on sailboat diesels are evil. Some argue they are more fuel efficient at comparable HPs, but no doubt in my mind you will give it all back in turbo maintenance over time. I can only see them as useful, if you just don't have the room to hold the block of the size motor you need to push your boat as you like. This is a bigger problem with stinkpotters than sailboats.

I do not believe the entire line of Yanmars and Volvos are turbo charged.

One other thing to consider is the resale value of your boat. It seems the ubiquitous motor in the US these days is the Yanmar. I don't think its superior, but it seems to be the brand whose parts are most commonly stocked and the first certification the local yard wrenches get. If true, that makes it the easiest to deal with.

The idea that a diesel has been marinized from a common block is appealing, if you can buy non-marine parts or disposables. However, you have to be wary that you are not de-marinizing it in the process and are knowledgeable of the difference. How will the next owner feel about it.

Just some food for thought.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook